The issue of energy has received a great deal of attention worldwide, mainly because it is the material basis for human survival. In the past centuries, fossil fuels have played a very important role and contributed to the progress of the industrial revolution. However, fossil fuels are a non-renewable energy source, and mankind cannot use them endlessly. Electrocatalysis is crucial for the development of clean and renewable energy technologies, which may reduce our reliance on fossil fuels. The kinetic retardation of key chemical reactions is one of the major hindrances to promote electrochemical energy storage, and the development of efficient electrocatalysts is an important research topic. In recent decades, people have done a lot of research work in the development of efficient and stable electrocatalysts. Non-noble metal elements with abundant surface reserves such as iron, cobalt, nickel, and manganese have become a research hotspot and focus. Various potential non-noble metal complexes electrocatalysts emerge in endlessly. From the design and synthesis of electrocatalyst materials to the improvement of the electrocatalytic activity and stability of materials, non-noble metal complexes electrocatalysts have gradually developed towards practicality.
- High catalytic activity, the reaction can be carried out under low over-potential and energy efficiency will be improved.
- Good conductivity, the good conductivity of the coordination complex can eliminate the Schottky barrier at the catalyst-electrolyte interface and the catalyst-electrode interface in the electrocatalytic reaction to ensure efficient energy conversion efficiency.
- Excellent stability, the stability of coordination complex is a key indicator that can promote electrocatalysis to the long-term operation.
- High selectivity, more than one chemical product may appear in the electrocatalytic process. The production of special products can be catalyzed by selecting different coordination complexes.
Some coordination complexes have received much attentions in the electrocatalysis because of their intrinsic active centers and good conductivity. These complexes can be used as electrocatalysts by attaching to the electrode surface. Alfa Chemistry discusses the electrocatalysis applications of coordination complexes in the following areas:
● Electrocatalytic reduction of CO2
Electrocatalytic reduction of CO2 is one of the most promising technologies available to mitigate environmental problems introduced by the continuous increase in its concentration that has occurred since the industrial revolution. Currently, most of the transition metal complexes have been widely used in the electrocatalytic reduction of CO2.
● Electrocatalytic hydrogen production
Electrocatalytic hydrogen production is an ideal method for hydrogen production. The development of simple and efficient coordination complex electrocatalysts has been the focus of research.
● Electrocatalytic water oxidation
Electrocatalytic water oxidation is a rate-determining step in the water splitting reaction. The development of efficient water oxidation catalysts is necessary. Currently, there is a general trend to use coordination complexes as water oxidation catalysts.
Alfa Chemistry knows that zero carbon emissions cannot be achieved without electrocatalysis. Therefore, Alfa Chemistry offers a variety of coordination complexes to realize the vision of green energy through its electrocatalytic effect. Please feel free to contact us if you have a need. We will also provide unique and customized services to our customers.